Located in Richmond serving Burnaby and surrounding areas
Rainforest Moving and Storage’s
ULTIMATE MOVING CHECKLIST
8 – 10 Weeks before you move:
- Decide whether you are packing your goods or having the moving company pack for you.
- Pick a move date.
- Obtain estimates from at least 3 different moving companies.
- Hire a professional moving company as soon as possible, especially in the summer months.
- Create a moving Folder to keep all estimates and moving expenses. Some moving costs may be tax deductible.
- Start researching your new community.
6 – 8 Weeks before you move:
- Purge – Sort through household and personal items and decide which ones to take with you and which ones to sell at a yard sale or donate to charity.
- Contact your children’s new school(s) and arrange to have school records transferred to the new school district.
- Ask doctors for referrals to your new city.
- Gather copies of legal and financial records.
- Call your insurance agent and make any necessary changes to your policy.
4 – 6 Weeks before you move:
- Order or buy boxes and moving supplies.
- Start packing items you don’t use often.
- Clearly label each box with items and the room it is destined for.
- File a change of address at the post office.
- Send rugs, drapes, and similar items out to be cleaned.
- Plan a garage sale.
- Start using items that can’t be moved or packed early such as frozen foods, perishables, flammables, bleach, aerosols, BBQ propane tanks, lawn mower gas, etc.
2 – 3 Weeks before you move.
- Reserve your move by calling 604-833-8174.
- Notify utility companies of your new residence and set up new accounts and effective dates of service.
- Cancel or transfer newspaper and magazine subscriptions.
1 week before you move:
- Put aside a number of boxes that you will pack essential items into near the end of the week.
- Finish packing, putting aside essential items you will need during the next week
- Gather any prescription medications you may need over the next couple weeks and keep in a safe accessible place.
- Begin a final cleaning of your home and yard.
- Review your moving plan and call your Rainforest moving consultant with any questions you may have.
- Notify friends and family of your new address.
- Pack essentials into boxes but keep accessible.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment.
- Drain water from hoses.
- Remain on the premises until everything is loaded into the moving truck. Sign the Bill of Lading and confirm the destination address.
- Check all rooms, closets, basement, garage, laundry room and storage areas for missed items.
- Leave any garage door openers and spare keys in a clear visible place for the new owners.
- Lock all doors and windows.
Enjoy your new home!
The team at Rainforest Moving and Storage know that moving can be a stressful and busy time for all involved. We hope this list helps make your move easier and stress free. With the help of Rainforest Moving and Storage, and this checklist you can insure a fast, streamlined, stress free move.
Click here to print this checklist.
Interested in our professional moving services?Get in touch with us